Shop all my favorites HERE
This year I’ve put a lot of thought into how to curate a versatile wardrobe. I’m tired of buying “trendy” pieces that last for one season and don’t seem to go with any other items in my closet. Now, I tend to focus on neutrals and “simple” pieces that can be re-mixed with other items in my closet. You could say that I’m becoming somewhat of a minimalist. But That doesn’t mean my closet is boring! I believe in keeping things interesting with accessories and the silhouette the pieces create when I’m wearing them.
I’ve created a list of the types of pieces that I currently have in my closet and some that I’d like to get to create a closet full of summer staples. If you’ll notice, most of the items are neutral – black, white, nude, chambray and striped. Some are trendier – like the off the shoulder top, striped maxi skirt and denim culottes – but can still be worn with lots of different pieces.
- White Shirtdress: Not only is this piece comfortable but it’s a blank canvas that can be accessorized in so many ways. Look for one that has clean lines and a structured shape to keep it interesting.
- Simple Tote: You’ll want a bag that can carry all your summer essentials – sunscreen, sunglasses, light jacket for air conditioned spaces, etc. I tend to go with bags in neutrals like black, brown or navy.
- Chambray Dress: Is there anything more comfortable than chambray?? This type of dress is also easily accessorized.
- Off The Shoulder Top: This typed of top is trending at the moment but can also become a wardrobe staple by choosing one in a neutral color (or striped).
- Sleeveless Denim or Chambray Top: I love mixing chambray tops with denim bottoms. But this is also a great top to mix with printed bottoms.
- Black Romper: This is a piece that can be dressed down during the day with sandals and a summer hat and also dressed up for date night with heels and a clutch!
- Striped Dress: The striped dress is the epitome of summer style! I love mixing other prints with stripes – like a floral scarf.
- Fringe Top: This is another item that’s trending right now. But picking one in a neutral color with subtle fringing will ensure that you can wear this top with lots of other pieces.
- Silk Top: If you can, invest in real silk for the summer because it is more breathable that polyester or other silk like fabrics. This is an another item that can be dressed up or down.
- Straw Hat: Wearing a hat is a great way to protect your skin from the sun AND look stylish at the same time. A straw panama or boater hat is a summer classic.
- Statement Sunglasses: Another great way to protect yourself from the sun is a pair of large sunglasses. This is where you can add flare to your outfit by picking shades in fun colors or styles.
- Black Clutch: Picking a simple clutch in a neutral color with pretty much go with everything in your closet.
- Sleeveless Knit Top: Picking a sleeveless knit ensures you can wear it in the summer but also transitions into the fall and winter by adding layers.
- Denim Culottes: This is another item trending at the moment. If culottes aren’t your thing you could pick a wide leg style. I love the shape that the culottes creates and the raw hem adds nice texture to an outfit.
- Summer Scarf: This is where you can have fun by picking a scarf with color or a fun print. When the rest of your closet is neutral a printed scarf with go with just about everything. Although, I’m still a sucker for a simple stripe.
- Black Jeans: Another item that can be dressed up or down. Choose a pair without distressing if you are planning to dress them up.
- Maxi Skirt: The stripes and subdued colors make this a neutral piece and the cut and tie waist add some flare! Wear it with tees in the summer or sweaters in the winter.
- Mules: This 70’s inspired shoe has definitely made a comeback. Picking one in a neutral shade and simple design makes this trendy yet classic.
- Nude Flat:Every closet should have a neutral flat. It can come in any shape or form but they important part is the color!
- Lace Up Sandal: Lace ups definitely remind me of summer and a pair of black lace up sandals would go with any of the pieces above!
To create my list of summer wardrobe staples I used Locogram* – a virtual mall of thousands of apparel and accessory boutiques, chain and online stores. If surfing the web for items seems overwhelming to you then searching Locogram is the solution. Locogram pulls items directly from websites onto their site which makes it easier to find items you are looking for without having to search multiple places. And while they have tons of items from larger chain stores (think Gap, J.Crew, Banana Republic), they also have small to medium size boutiques and brands which is something that similar online fashion malls don’t do.
Locogram is a relatively new website so they are still working on updating their site. But they really want to focus on building a community where users can create their own personal mall and share with and follow other users. So if you are a blogger and would like to collaborate with Locogram let me know – either in the comments or email me (firstname.lastname@example.org)!
WHAT ARE YOUR GO-TO SUMMER STAPLES?
*Locogram sponsored this post but all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that support this blog!